Use the Message Delivery Form (MDF)
Find out more information on this page about how to contact a domain name holder with the privacy option applied.
Find out on this page how you can contact a domain name holder (registrant) that has the privacy option applied (IRPO). If you have any questions that relate to this that this guide doesn’t cover, please contact us here.
If you would like more information on applying IRPO to a domain name, you can find this here.
The migration to the new .nz registry platform has caused some slight changes to the privacy option on the registration record. Previously it was only the address and telephone number that were hidden from the whois, now the email address will also be masked.
The only contact information that will be visible on the whois is the registrant's name and country.
How can I contact them if their contact information is hidden?
If you would like to get in contact with a registrant that has IRPO applied to their domain name, we have a Message Delivery Form (MDF) that can be filled out which will send an email to the registrant.
Please see the steps below on how to use this option:
- On the whois page click the ‘Contact domain owner’ button up the top.
- The domain name will be automatically populated into the domain name field, click ‘Next’.
- On the next screen enter your contact details.
- Enter a subject into the subject line and then the message that you would like to send to the registrant below. Confirm you are not a robot and click ‘Submit’.
- You will then be advised that you have been sent an email with a confirmation link which you will need to click in order to verify your email address before your message can be sent.
- Once you have done this, tick the 2 boxes to confirm that you wish to send the email and then ‘Submit’ to send the message.
- You will receive an email confirming that your message has been sent to the registrant.
- The registrant will receive an email notifying them that a message has been sent to them via the Message Delivery Form. The message will display your email address alongside the message you have submitted. Please note, that the registrant is under no obligation to respond to the sender of this message.
- If the registrant responds to your message they will be able to communicate with you via the email address you have provided.
If you have received a Message Delivery Form (MDF) email
The MDF will send the message as an email to the registrant's email address. If an MDF email has been sent to you, you are under no obligation to respond.
The message will display the sender’s email address, to reply to them, copy the email address from the message and send a separate message through your email client. Please note, that your email address will then naturally, be visible to the sender.
Please don’t reply to the MDF message directly as that will just send the email to the Domain Name Commission, rather than to the sender of the message.
The maximum number of MDF requests that can be made
For a person that is using the MDF to send a message, the maximum amount of requests that may be made in a 24-hour time period from the same IP address is 100.
For a registrant who has IRPO applied, the maximum number of requests they can receive in a 24-hour time period is 5.